Saturday 14 June 2008

Was Rudyard Kipling a Pick-Up Artist?

Everyone knows Kipling's famous poem "If..." and while there are perhaps a couple of lines that I disagree with, there are others that are core for both pick-up and life in general. In fact some of them speak along Zen / metaphysical lines.

Lines I like:

“If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,”
So important with regards to self belief and self esteem

“If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same;”
A core metaphysical idea, though to deny the truth of a reaction is somehow disingenuous, but shouldn’t also be all-consuming. There’s a point in between…

“If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
To serve your turn long after they are gone,”
This is what I call “working through the crap period”…

“If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch,”
This speaks to me as an ideal of being the guy who gets on with everyone I guess, a social master in a way.

Lines I don’t like:

“And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise:”
This sounds a bit like “don’t get ideas above your station” which I don’t agree with, otherwise there’d be no development or progression.

Anyway, the poem’s inspired loads of people, and I’m sure it will continue to. You'll be a man, my son!

No comments: