Sunday 18 May 2008

A Whole New World

So I've been meeting up with a bunch of guys that I've met on the various PUA forums I've been visiting recently. They all seem really normal, down to earth guys, which is a relief! One of them is as mad as a hatter. One of them is perhaps a bit too cynical for my liking. The rest are fine, and pretty much everyone has difficulty opening. Or perhaps they don't have the motivation. I don't know.

Anyway, so we've been going out a bit and after a few nights of opening randomly, and also helping others to open (which I seem to be naturally good at for some reason). However I've now hit two walls, which is actually a good thing. It makes for an interesting challenge.

The first wall is that it quickly became apparent that my openers aren't consistently good enough. This in turn led to me finding it harder to approach. Which is strange, as normally that isn't a problem, and approaching is something that I can do quite well.

However I solved this problem by inventing a new opener, and this is something that is now working quite well. My opener is "Hey guys, I have a quick question for you. I'm thinking of growing my hair long, maybe down to the ears and have it a bit messy. I don't think growing it down to the shoulders is going to work on me. What do you think?" This is working consistently well. Obviously it doesn't work all of the time, but some sets have reasons not to be opened, and that's cool.

As a side note I've picked up a couple of other openers that seem to be working, which are jungle / eighties party (thanks JK!) and also the classic dental floss opener. I want to give these a bit more of a try in field to get them down.

The second sticking point has existed since before the first, and that's what to do after the opener. The Style answer is to rock and then ask, "So how do you guys know each other?" I need to try that. Another answer is to have more routines. I've recently read a giraffe routine that is comedy gold, I'll give that a shot as well. I can see this getting exciting

No comments: