Saturday 4 April 2009

Just a case of blow out

So I haven’t written in ages, my life seems so busy now that I’m working again, and, given that each of these takes about an hour to write, it seems like I just don’t have the time! Crazy really, but that’s the way it is.

So what’s been happening in the last month? Well I decided to take a break from sarging for a little while. It seemed to be becoming too much of a chore, which is never a good thing. Plus my social life with other, non-sarging friends was kinda non-existent. So I needed to sort that.

I had a weekend off that included a gig and general going out. Then I had a weekend in Amsterdam on a stag do that consisted of drinking and smoking in various bars, but no sarging (and, before you ask, no prostitutes – not my thing at all).

Then last weekend on the Friday I went to a friend’s friend’s gig, which was pretty cool. On the Saturday I met up with the guys again but I was feeling pretty knackered – I hadn’t had much sleep, so I didn’t bother sarging. Of course when I returned home there was an impromptu house party going on at not just my own house but also a house three doors down, so us, my neighbours and the other house having a party all bounced around joining in and having fun.

It was cool and I tried a few things with various people – memorably singing along to First We Take Manhattan with some random chick which you couldn’t make up if you tried – but nothing stuck. The main reason for that was that I was with my friend and neighbour (the German chef) who is a really cool, genuine guy with a bit but not too much game, but who is pretty good looking and only the previous week had been spotted by a talent scout for a modelling agency and was having his first paid shoot the next week. So as soon as the girls saw him they were kinda more interested in him than me. Though he didn’t close anything either. From now on, he’s known as Zoolander.

I ended up watching the grand prix live and going to bed at 9 – so much for feeling tired. But the context and the drugs helped.

Aside from that I also met up with a couple of commercial guys on the LSS. I did an NLP session with one of them to see if that might help. Unfortunately I think I’ve come to realise that I’m not that hypnotically susceptible, mainly because I researched it at university so I’m aware of what they’re trying to do, which undermines it. So I don’t think it helped much.

I also met up with Kingy for an evening’s one on one bootcamp during the week. For some reason I was really nervous, and I do tend to get nervous around guys with good game, which is strange and irritating as there’s no reason to. Anyway after a while that went away and we did all the usual opening, getting pushed into sets and so on. There were lots of blow outs but I wasn’t too affected by them. I can’t say it taught me much that I didn’t already know, except that natural game is just internalised routine game, which any fool knows. Kind of an argument for routine game in a way. But also that natural game is based on the improvisation skill set, which is an important point.

Anyway back to yesterday. I was fairly keen to get back into it despite a tiring week. At home before going out most of my flatmates were there which is always a good thing to get me in a sociable mood. And I arrived in Brick Lane to meet Liam in a good state, and thankfully so was he.

We went to Big Chill which was pretty packed, but just about manageable. Also, the music was not the usual soul / funky type stuff, but much more uplifting and energetic dance music. People really seemed to be having a good time. I think I must have talked to about three sets, two I can definitely remember. For the most part I was chatting simple rubbish but having fun and a good time. There was one set of about three girls that I got into a conversation about travelling, which is always good. I stayed in there for a while and eventually the group moved on to get a curry. I tried to number close one of them but she didn’t comply – which was fair enough, it was just a stab in the dark. I didn’t feel bad about it at all and was happy that I at least asked.

We moved on to Industry which for the first time in living memory was actually quite busy. Plus there was Ou est le swimming pool playing live, which I had seen once before in Cargo. They were OK, watching them (as with most bands) makes me want to get on stage and play guitar. Live music is great.

Liam and I were talking to some random drunk Irish girls for a bit but they weren’t making sense. Later on we were back upstairs and I tried opening a group of three pretty hot chicks with the “Sorry I’m late” opener. It bombed pretty badly, which was funny.

Shortly after that we were kinda sitting on the side and there were a couple of average girls dancing in their own area. It seemed a waste not to open them, so I joined them in the dance. Liam came in for a bit too. I had a bit of a chat with them but wasn’t that interested really, so left it.

All in all it was a good night as my mood was pretty good and I opened a fair few sets and stayed in set for a while with most of them. A pretty satisfactory restart to sarging.

No comments: